Monday, April 11, 2016

I: "Image"

This week we have 3 lovely posts from one of my nearest and dearest fellow housewives - the author Amanda (A.G.) Porter! I'll step aside and let her take the reins from here. Enjoy!


I never thought I’d be a mom and being a stepmom was definitely something that never entered my mind. Then, I met my husband and here comes the chubby, blonde headed boy into my life.
He had a mom. He called her mom and he called me Amanda. There were people who would question how I...interacted with him. Did I act like “mom?” Was I tougher on him? Did I cut him slack? Did I ever feel like this or like that? Or would say things like, “When you have kids of your own, you’ll understand.”
What did I feel? It was easy. I loved his dad and I loved him. From the start I never looked at him like he wasn’t mine. I did have a kid of my own. It’s him.
This brings me back to the “I”, the letter I’m supposed to be focusing on. There is an image, a picture that touches my heart. It was taken a few years back, but it is one that I will never forget as long as I live. I get emotional just thinking about it.

In that image, I saw how he saw me. I see it when we’re watching Doctor Who together or talking about our favorite books, when I make his favorite meal, or give him a kiss before bed. No, I didn’t carry him or give birth to him, but he is mine.

9 comments:

  1. This is adorable. I wish all step moms could be like you and have this mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! My son recently married a woman who has a 10 year daughter. She calls him by his first name, sometimes she'll call him dad. He knows he'll not be the same as her dad, but they have a pretty good relationship :) We treat her like a grand daughter and have let her define what she calls us, as long as it is okay with her mom :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's exactly how my husband is with 'our' daughter. Thanks for sharing. Lovely, heart-warming post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Children come to us in many ways. Your way was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. precious and inspiring! thanks for guesting with us this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am a step mom but didn't get to live with the girls although when we were in Britain we saw a lot of them. Then we emigrated. We have seen them since, they came to see us in North Carolina when we were there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are no limits in the human heart. It's not like a pie that needs to be divied up. If you give love to one, it doesn't take away from another. Children can have several mothers and fathers. It's all about the connection given.

    Liz A. from
    Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the House!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...