Monday, February 15, 2016

I don't need to clean my house

Welcome, welcome, welcome - S.K. Anthony!
The title of this post alone makes me feel even closer to her. So without more of my nonsense, here is S.K.'s guest post for Monday...


Let me tell you, I just hate cleaning . . . so I don't. Go ahead and judge me, I'll wait. 
*Files nails* 

Done? ;) Okay, so here goes: I hate the idea of "I have to clean" so I avoid it at all costs. Instead, I've brainwashed myself into thinking I've formed daily habits that—unless I stick to—I will gain ten pounds overnight. So far so good.

And I'm honest with myself. I know that being fully organized just isn't going to happen overnight. Come on, Ladies, that's unrealistic (unlike gaining a ton of weight overnight). But keeping up with a routine and being consistent is key to at least look like you have your . . . umm, "stuff" together. 

So, if you are trying to get into a cleaning habit but are struggling with the daily clutter, here are some of my tips:

* If you take something out, put it away! *STAT*
This is something that doesn't and shouldn't have to wait. Most importantly, get your kids and spouse into the same habit. Tell them it's way easier to do it right away than spending hours trying to put EVERYTHING away in one shot. Also, remind them that if you have to do it they might be murdered, so really? It's a "stay alive" habit and they need to get with it.

*Everyday, something needs to be tackled—ten minutes is all you need. Getting it ALL done in one day just screams FAILURE. Take one minute to make your bed, have your kids make theirs, the other nine minutes? Well, pick up clothes and/or toys from the floor one day, dust the next, vacuum, scrub your kitchen sink, etc. Small things that ultimately add up . . . and don't tell me you can't find ten minutes for these little things. You totally got it. I believe in you.

*Deal with your counters. 
This one takes more effort than I care to admit, but it could be simple . . . I think. First, let's begin with the kitchen counter—I don't want to overwhelm you. After dinner? Just wipe the thing down. WIPE IT! And show it who is boss! Once that's second nature to "what happens after dinner", move on to he bathroom counters too. What's a second quick wipe going to do to you? Kill you? No. No it won't. Pinky swear!

On that note . . .

*Umm, wash your dishes. I'll be honest, I don't always thrive here. And I know you're wondering about that overnight weight gain. Well, I keep it to—at most—three pounds when I don't do the dishes. How? I, umm, convince myself they need soaking and so that's kind of taking care of it. Other than that, all I can say is when you get up the next morning you will be so glad you didn't procrastinate on it. Loading & unloading your dishwasher and/or doing dishes by hand is easier for me when I think of it as "mommy break" . . . I shall think and meditate while it happens. If that fails, well, I make up a Cinderella-type story in my head as I play the victim :P

*Sort your mail daily. The first thing I do as I walk from the mail box and into the kitchen, is grab the spam mail & flyers and throw them out (yes, in the recycle bin. Don't stress out!). Then I put the rest of the stack down and let it rest until I'm making dinner . . . because that's how I role. But you have to come up with your own system on that. I have a couple small baskets (I'm obsessed with bins and baskets) so I sort them out into bills to pay, important paperwork that needs further filing, shred the bills already taken cared of, etc. 

So yes, I don't really clean. I just take care of these dreaded tasks quickly so I don't have to even think about them later. And they really only take a couple minutes! Don't put it off! But if you do . . . and you have unexpected visitors? Here's my BONUS TIP:




S. K. Anthony is a writer, a reader and a make-stuff-up-er who lives in New York with her husband and toddler twins. She is a wine connoisseur, which just really means she knows she loves it, and a caffeine addict. When she isn’t busy with her family, she finds herself being transported into the world of imagination. Well, either that or running away from spiders . . . she is convinced they are out to get her!

16 comments:

  1. Or hire someone to do your housework.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I would so love that idea if I didn't have a problem with umm... affording someone do so lol. Or you know, with my OCD kicking in and not wanting anyone to touch my stuff... at least until I clean up before they clean up o_O (Yes, I have issues).

      Delete
  2. When my kids were little, I had a "time out" basket for toys left out. If I had to pick one up, it went in time out for a week. They were really good at picking up their toys, but it never worked for getting their dirty clothes picked up. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so nice, Elizabeth! I'm so mean. I tell them (haven't made them do it yet) that any toys left out is going in the garbage...and I *have* made them get out of bed to come put it in the trash.... but they get "one last chance" to put it away. Well, that was only once but it got the point across... I sure wish that worked on my hubby :-/ lol

      Delete
  3. Yes ma'am yes ma'am!!! I hear ya!!! And love you both. Clean it or twenty pounds of retribution is in your future!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? I knew someone would understand my logic! :D

      Delete
  4. Excellent tips. Most of them I keep to myself. Doing dishes is definitely my mommy break. And I will have to use that get well cards trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Had someone told me years ago I'd enjoy doing dishes I'd have laughed in their face . . . now, its MY time lol

      Delete
  5. Doing a little every day works wonders. It only takes a few minutes but it is great for killing guilt trips. If only there were a way to make insta-clean houses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to make that happen! Please? 'Cause if you can give me an insta-clean house I'd worship the insta-clean floor you walk on! :P

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed the post. Those are all excellent points and one I agree with and have also practiced when I'm not slacking ;)

    The housewives blog is an interesting idea I will keep checking it out, although I am not a housewife,lol.
    Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed the post. Those are all excellent points and one I agree with and have also practiced when I'm not slacking ;)

    The housewives blog is an interesting idea I will keep checking it out, although I am not a housewife,lol.
    Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, you're a house-person of sorts, no? LOL— I think you'd fit right in ;)

      Delete
  8. I'm usually pretty good w/doing the dishes quick. Cuz there's nothing I hate more than waking up to a smelly, stuck-on-like-glue pile of dishes. Ugh. I'm horrible w/the mail tho...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mail, well . . . I have my moments. I've been so bad at times (years ago) and had terrible paper cuts from sorting and shredding, since then I'm like "never again!" Sometimes I forget that proclamation though O_O

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by the House!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...