Monday, July 25, 2016

Where does the time go?

We are spiced to have the lovely, long-standing Leigh Covington as our guest this week! She going to lay some tips and advice and fun stuff down and pump us up!

How many times do you wish for more hours in a day? I think we all do! We have to run kids to soccer games and piano lessons while working on laundry, cooking dinner, and attempting to fit in our 10K steps for the day. This is also hindered by our attempt to make ourselves presentable if we leave the house or if someone stops by for a visit, let alone having our kids dressed and ready to take on the world.

I used to think that things would get easier as my kids got older and they could do more for themselves, but that's not true. Life stays just as busy and hard - just in different ways. Life is simply hectic! And while we're all wishing there was more time to get ALL of these things done and working ourselves into the ground day and night so that we can scratch things off our "to-do" list...

Are we making time where it REALLY matters?

Yes... I'm sure you know where I'm going with this... are we making time to be together? QUALITY time - not simply time when we are all in the same house on our various electronics working toward different goals. Unfortunately, that doesn't count.

While there are a million ways to make time for our littles, I'm going to take you all along on my family's camping adventure from a couple of weeks ago.

First, let me explain that I've spent the past 2 1/2 years finishing my teaching degree which has left me lacking in the T.I.M.E. department. Feeling like an epic failure, I decided we needed to get away from our regularly scheduled program and enjoy some quality time. This included me packing up my three kiddos (on my own, since the hubby had to work) driving them two hours away from home, into the mountains to attempt a camping and fishing experience. What happened?
  1. No cell phone service! We had to be creative and be together!
  2. We had to work toward similar goals. We could set up the tent together, unload the car together, cook meals together, & figure out how to untangle fishing line together!
  3. When we all froze at night because I didn't bring enough blankets - we could snuggle together!
  4. Talking, laughter, and spending TIME with each other. 
It's probably quite obvious that you don't have to go to the mountains to do any of this. That was just something I have wanted to do with my kids for awhile, but it worked and it was worth it! Taking time for one another - playing together and finding a sense of unity, is all worth it. While, I'd love it if that meant there was no arguing, that wasn't really the case. Lets face it - we are human, but the arguing was happening less and fun was happening more. Hallelujah!

How else can make time for each other?
  • Eat dinner together - don't forget to talk in between mouthfuls!
  • Read a book to one or all of your children.
  • NO TECH TIME - make time to talk and play. Ask your kids about their day.
  • Play games together. My kids are card sharks so we love card games at our house.
  • Cook something together, or teach them how to cook.
  • Work together.
  • PUZZLES! (A new favorite for us!)
  • Go on a walk, ride bikes, go swimming, etc.
Truth be told- spending time together helps our kids, and even our spouse, know that we genuinely care about them and what is going on in their life. It helps build confidence and security in who they are and what they are capable of. Don't we all feel more empowered when we feel loved and accepted? Doesn't someone taking TIME for us help build those feelings of love and security? The love and support of family will probably reach much further than we can ever truly know.

For me, time with my kids and husband is this important so I put it at the top of my priority list. Oh well if I'm behind on laundry. Oh well if I'm the weirdo who bakes 5 dozen cookies with her kids to take around for Christmas gifts. That's okay. Despite how we might feel sometimes --- being a mom is the best job in the world, and definitely the most important. Does that mean that everything else we do isn't important too? Nope! Not at all. It simply means that you shouldn't downplay your role as "mother." Embrace it! And make time to embrace the time you have with those you love.

So, how do you make TIME for your family? What does your family love to do together? I look forward to hearing your ideas. I'm always looking for new things to try.



Leigh Covington is the mother of three active children and a full time student at Grand Canyon University, finishing her Bachelors in Secondary Education emphasis in English. Fueled by Coca-Cola, she spends the majority of her time watching soccer games or gymnastics lessons, while sneaking in a sweet treat to satisfy her chocolate addiction. She also teaches the youth at church and loves spending time reading a good book whenever she can find a free minute.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Donna! Miss all our fun interactions. Can't wait to be back to blogging and writers conferences. :) Hope you're doing well!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad, first off, you're using your cowgirl hottie photo!! I love spending time with the kids with sometimes just background music. It's the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music is gaining momentum here! My son is all about the music these days so we all get to jam together! You know teenagers... no such thing as quiet music! You've got to ROCK OUT!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Tammy- such a perfect picture!

    I also agree that time with the kids is a top priority. You never get a second chance to enjoy them while they're young.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the House!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...