Monday, October 3, 2016

Improvising

Due to circumstances beyond our control, our guest for the week had to cancel at the last minute... So what do women do best?

IMPROVISE!

Don't you hate it when you thought you had an ingredient and you're in the middle of a yummy recipe and you realize you DON'T have it? Ack!

Fortunately, I can usually find a substitute or I improvise. It's like I'm on Chopped - make something from what you have!

So here are some handy substitutions that I use sometimes...
(borrowed from my cookbook by Better Homes & Gardens)

Baking powder: for 1 teaspoon, substitute 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar plus 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Bread crumbs, fine, dry: for 1/4 cup, substitute 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs, or 1/4 cup cracker crumbs, or 1/4 cup cornflake crumbs, or 2/3 cup rolled oats

Buttermilk: for 1 cup, substitute sour milk: 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar plus enough milk to make 1 cup (let stand 5 minutes before using); or 1 cup plain yogurt

Half-and-half or light cream: for 1 cup, substitute 1 tablespoon melted butter plus enough whole milk to make 1 cup

Heavy cream/Whipping cream: for 1 cup, substitute 2 cups whipped dessert topping

Honey: for 1 cup, substitute 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar plus 1/4 cup water.

Molasses: for 1 cup, substitute 1 cup honey

Sour cream, dairy: for 1 cup, substitute 1 cup plain yogurt


Usually no one notices the difference! There are a lot more at the website, for spices too.
Then there's always emergency pizza delivery!

What emergency substitutions have you made - that you would recommend?
Happy Monday!

7 comments:

  1. Pizza always works for me! I've used yogurt as a substitute for eggs. My kid didn't mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. who ever invented pizza delivery was a genius !

      and it was great seeing you thanks again for coming Saturday !

      Delete
  2. I've used a quarter cup of mayo to substitute an egg in a cake, and it works. I pushed the envelope and tried to make one eggless, and that didn't work out so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I'm not much in the kitchen but I know an egg is imperative in a cake !

      Delete
  3. Some of those substitutes are odd. Who keeps cream of tartar anyway, I sure don't. I don't ever remember trying to make something without having planned and bought the ingredients ahead of time. Maybe I did when I was younger and learned my lesson so always plan ahead these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing I should also have mentioned. These days I whip up cream and freeze it in serving sized blobs. I have recently realised this is also useful if you don't have cream for a dish.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the House!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...