Monday, January 25, 2016

Stop and Smell the Christmas Trees!

My task list during the holiday season is much like anyone else - insane, and likely impossible to complete without breaking the space-time continuum. Somehow, though, I muddled through as always and ran smack into the post-holiday blahs during which I go into anxiety mode about plans and projects for the new year and then start to ignore my usual task list (which I'm pretty sure has acquired sentience and been adding it's own items just to see if I notice).

I guess it shouldn't have been any huge surprise when I came home this weekend in my typical tunnel vision haze. It was, however, for my poor dear husband who'd had Friday off work and was waiting for me to notice what any normal non-writer crazy lady should have noticed. He finally broke down Saturday night and asked:

Hubs: "Did you notice ANYTHING different about the living room?"
Me *popping my head out of my Snuggie reading fort*: "Huh?"
Hubs: "Um, the Christmas tree?"

That's when it hit me. Our Christmas tree, wreath, stockings... all of it was gone and neatly put away. Our teeny living room - which had just been over-crowded with Christmas decor - was suddenly half empty and I hadn't even noticed. I'd let myself get so focused on projects to get us through 2017 that I just completely stopped paying any attention to anything around me, and consequently overlooked a tremendously nice thing my husband had taken care of for me. (Yes, I'm a terrible wife!)

So my advice for this Monday morning is this:

No matter how much we think we have to prepare for tomorrow, we still need to stop and smell the Christmas trees before they're gone.


P.S. - This is not advocating anyone to come and rob me because you think I won't notice anything missing. Because I totally will. Eventually. Maybe. 


12 comments:

  1. Love, love - I felt like Xmas was a chore on my to do list this year - put it up, check, - open gifts & enjoy family, check - tear down & store, check... We are moving way too fast these days! Great advice, chica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's soooo hard to slow down! I swear I think I can FEEL time moving faster these days.

      Delete
  2. This is what the Oriental philosophy is, live in the moment, live today. When you are washing dishes, wash dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! There are few moments I try to escape more than washing dishes :-)

      Delete
  3. Ha! Wonderful advice. I can get carried away with so much to do too. And I do love the smell of the Christmas tree. I hope I'd notice it was gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least we still have our Christmas tree-scented candles! :-)

      Delete
  4. That's my list and how my brain goes all monkey on me if I'm not careful . Without my yoga practice, I'd be a puddle of To Dos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! If I couldn't turn to my books to calm myself down I'd never make it through a task list sane.

      Delete
  5. Mmmm, Christmas tree smell. Very sweet of your husband to knock one thing off your to-do list without you even asking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was sweet! I get that distracted all the time. I blame being a writer- so many worlds to live in, so little time to pay attention to them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha! He's just happy if I share his world on occasion :-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by the House!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...