Monday, March 20, 2017

10 #Tips for a #HappyLife - Breathe

As I send my first born off to college this Fall, I want to give him a few last pieces of advice, whether he takes it or not... I'll be sharing them with you all over the next ten months in my week here at the House. And I'll gladly take any comments or suggestions you'd like to add!

10 Tips for a Happy Life

10. Breathe. Go ahead and laugh. I did when I heard a friend say this the other day as advice she got from someone to help her with her stress at basketball games. Just saying it to each other helped us laugh some stress away at the horrible calls...

But breathing really is a great way to calm down. If more people took a deep breath before immediately reacting to bad news or someone disagreeing with them, there might be more peace in the world.

Controlled breathing is also a good way to help you get through something intense. Anticipation of a traumatic or important event--like public speaking which I am about to try, ah!--can elevate heart rate and cause anxiety. Taking a few calming breaths beforehand gives you control over your body's reaction and can steady your nerves enough to get you past that first step.

Lastly, steady breathing can help you fall asleep. If you are worried about something and it's causing you to stay awake at night, try concentrating on slow, steady breathing. In addition, imagine each muscle in your body relaxes, starting with your toes and work your way up. You'll feel the tension leave and probably won't reach your waist before you're fast asleep!

Wouldn't the world be a better place if people breathed more? Ha!

8 comments:

  1. I 100% agree with you Tara. Good steady breathing is an excellent way to live for the reasons you have stated and to ensure you stay calm and healthy. Important to breathe into the stomach too, not just shallow breaths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tara - I think many doing the A-Z will need to remember to breathe too ... good luck to your son for his further studies ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're crying and want to stop, take deep breaths. You can't cry and breathe deeply at the same time. My daughter learned that in a theater class. She taught it to me when I had to call her with bad news and couldn't get the words out because I was crying so hard.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just breathe. Great advice! I try to remember to do this when insomnia visits during the night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breathing is something we forget to do when we're stressed out. I know how people laugh at this advice. I'd presented my brother Thich Nhat Han's ' Breathe, you are alive' one year for Christmas and the name was the source of much merriment and mirth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks you guys. I appreciate your comments.
    sometimes I feel like I can't even find time to breathe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hold that breath long enough and you'll feel dizzy and care much less about the stress in your life.

    Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent advice. I often have to take a breather. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the House!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...