Monday, October 22, 2018

Weighting...


Two weeks ago was my 30th class reunion. Normally, a reunion or special occasion where cameras are going to be everywhere would send my insecurities and desire to crash diet on overdrive. 

But I managed to stay sane this time! The slow and steady, focus on a healthier me approach to weight loss is working. Since I decided to give up the insane notion that there should be an easy solution that didn't require healthier eating and exercise, I've lost 9.5 pounds. That doesn't seem like a whole lot, but considering they were as tough to shake as a clingy toddler, I'm darned proud.

I'll admit, there are times when I'll start to feel like the process should be going faster and should be easier. I mean it's totally unfair how easy they are to add and how hard they are to subtract. Placing the focus on being healthier rather than skinnier helps quite a bit. 

What else helps?

Exercise. I joined a gym with a friend. Going together makes exercise more fun and it's harder to bow out when you have to be accountable to someone else for showing up. I'm not exactly a gym rat or getting totally buff, but regular exercise has helped improve my mood and I snack less. It's amazing how less appealing a chocolatey morsel is once you realize how far you have to walk on a treadmill to burn it off.  

Journaling. Counting calories keeps me mindful of what I eat. It also helps to see the connection between weight losses and gains with different eating habits. 

Eating. Have a bite when you're hungry. Stop when you're full. It seems silly, but nothing brings on binge eating quicker than feeling starved. The same goes for cravings. I had a craving for a Snicker bar. Instead, I had a banana. I still wanted that darned Snicker bar, so I had a yogurt...then a granola bar...maybe a few pretzels. My niece, who is a skinny thing, finally pointed out that I would have been far better off to have eaten a snack-sized candy bar a few hundred calories ago.






6 comments:

  1. hey Liz good for you I lost 10 pounds before I went on vacation with the same process the journaling especially !

    Ever since I came back, my journal got packed and I thought we would sell our house quickly we have not and I think I need to go unpack my journal ( and my scale !) because I probably gained back everything I lost! =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have apps for journaling too. But I'm like you, when I get busy, I forget all about keeping any sort of schedule.

      Delete
  2. Congrats! I lost 14 pounds by walking my new puppy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's impressive! I bet that makes the puppy a happy fellow.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! Sounds like you're doing great to me. I noticed my weight has been easing up lately. So, I've forced myself to do an extra chore/activity every day and have shoved my candy stash into the very back of the drawer. See if it helps ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't just hide the candy stash, I had to get it out of my house. Now, if I want something sweet, I have fruit or I force myself to bake. And I'm so lazy in the kitchen, that doesn't happen very often.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by the House!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...