Don't you hate those words? Kids get bored way too easily. And with Spring Break in the air, we're about to hear them say it more! Especially if you're trying to be a responsible parent and LIMIT their SCREEN TIME. That is such a hard thing to do! Screens are becoming an ADDICTION. We need to remind kids there are other fun options for their down time.
A few years ago, I made a list of things for my kids to do whenever they bemoaned having nothing to do when their video game time was maxed out. I would just point to the list on the fridge. This is a sample (age adjusted, as needed):
- play a board game/card game/chess
- build stuff - Legos/Imaginext/Magnetix/marble slider
- race matchbox cars
- Star Wars guys
- build a fort
- hide and seek - lots of variations: people or things, in the dark, inside/outside
- basketball, baseball, kickball, soccer, football, etc
- pool table/ping pong table
- make up a game (ball tag was one)
- make a video
- bake with mom
This is a game My Mom made up for the Grandkids, the Ball Game:
Then there are the less popular items, encouraged to do to earn brownie points for sleepovers or cash:
- science experiment
- math practice problems
- Chores and more chores! There's always chores to do!
- go through their closet, dresser, or junk drawer
- walk the dog
Having these things in an organized list, the kids have a menu to choose from. Instead of searching through their stuff to find something to do, they can read through the list and see what they're in the mood for. They can even help make the list and customize it and adjust it as needed.
Please help save the world, one child at a time and LIMIT SCREEN TIME! We want Creators and Leaders, not Robots (they'll take over the world soon enough, haha)!