Wednesday, February 15, 2017

The Great Sugar Crash of '17

Feeling a little off this morning? Maybe a bit shaky, or
irritable, or unreasonably hungry? You might even have a bit of a headache, or think your heart is beating a little too fast. If you are, don't go to WebMD (it's really not a tumor) - it's probably just all the Valentines candy we broke our diets for yesterday. You - if you're like me - might be in the middle of a sugar crash. And considering all that delicious, wonderful, soul-saving chocolaty goodness is on sale today, it's probably going to get worse.

I don't usually eat a ton of sweets, so it was pretty easy for me to find the culprit when I started sweating after candy bar number [redacted]. What I didn't know, though, is that there are several ways to help mitigate the terror of a sugar hangover that go beyond simply drinking a few gallons of water.

I found some great advice from our friends over at Reader's Digest on how to recover from a sugar binge, and some of it was kind of surprising. The full article is here, but if you're jonesing for a quick fix, here's a summary:
  1. Lay off further sugar infusions. A body needs to find balance again and can't do it if you keep going back for more.
  2.  Eat a spoonful of peanut butter. You don't have to tell me twice...
  3. Take the stairs, go for a quick walk - anything to move your body and burn that sugar energy.
  4. Seek out diuretics like green tea with lemon to help flush your kidneys. But remember to keep drinking water at the same time!
  5. Plan your next meals to be low-sugar while your body heals itself.
Personally - I'm all about the peanut butter fix. As far as I'm concerned, the ONLY way to eat peanut butter is with a spoon. And keep in mind - this is absolutely not medical advice and you should consult your doctor if you have or think you might have diabetes and experience the symptoms I mentioned above. This is just for those of us - like me - without insulin-related issues who tend to overdo it with the chocolate on holidays :-)

So now it's confession time - hands up if you splurged yesterday! *puts both hands up*





9 comments:

  1. I did all right yesterday, because I was planning to hit the sales today. :)

    You know what's really good with that spoonful of peanut butter? Add soem chocolate chips. Soo tasty. Get the dark chocolate kind...that makes it healthier, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Went out to dinner at our local Red Lobster on Monday and had their Chocolate Wave cake. That's equivalent to a box of chocolates any time I think. Actually I did feel a bit off yesterday, never thought of that being the reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No candy for me yesterday or today. I am a good girl.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. We mostly splurged on seafood yesterday, but I must confess to eating four chocolates, too. (I couldn't hurt his feelings, now, could I?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may or may not have eaten the Whitman's large sampler, followed by about a dozen Hershey minis....

      Delete

  5. I like your site and content. thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts. Thanks
    ผลบอลเมื่อคืน

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the House!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...