Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Keeping the weight off

I’m going to do a brave thing with this post. I’m going to talk about my weight.

I’ve been metabolically challenged since I was about ten. Over the years, I’ve probably done about 80% of all the eating programs out there, with varying degrees of success—usually slow with such plans as Weight Watchers. 

I’ve been quite successful with some programs—How to Lower Your Fat Thermostat (Neuropsychology of Weight Control), South Beach, The Fast Metabolism Diet, and most recently Take Shape for Life.

The odds are not in our favor as far as keeping weight off. I've lost enough weight in big batches to build a large adult male. If I added up all my smaller stints, I'll bet it's equivalent to a small woman.

What makes it come back?

It can be temptations (we eat what we eat because we like the food), or lack of support at home (sabotage by loved ones). Sometimes our bodies even fight us. For example, have you read that New York Times article about the weight regain by The Biggest Loser contestants?

It’s not just discouraging, it’s plain depressing. I have wondered many time why I keep trying. I’m active. I work out. I try to eat right. Why can't I be smaller?

So, I decided to take the plunge and try Take Shape for Life. The thing that encourages me that this time could be THE time is that I have a health coach. She and her husband (a fellow writer), together, lost about 200 pounds on this program, and they’re keeping it off.

The key is the support. I’ve never had much with other programs I’ve tried.

*takes a deep breath*

Last April 20th, I weighed 241.8 pounds (I’m 5’9”). *cringes* And that's not the most I've ever weighed--that was 249 pounds (without being pregnant). 

As of last Monday, I weighed 191.6. 

**begins rant** Can you believe my stupid body wouldn’t give up that lousy .2 pounds so I could say I’d lost 50!!??! **endrant**

Here’s my before picture next to my current picture.

And believe it or not, I was sucking that gut in on the left.
I wish the one on the right showed my waist (which is smaller than my abdomen--much smaller).
Do I worry that people who know me say are thinking things like:
There goes Donna again. How long will she keep it off this time?
 Heck, I have my own little demon sitting on my shoulder asking me this very question. So, do I fret?

Oh, yeah.

Am I hopeful?

Heck yes! My freaking slip fell off walking to my office last week!

I want good health. I want to be here for my grandkids for a long time. 

Dang it, I’ve got a lot more books to write.




Donna K. Weaver is an award-winning author, wife, mother, grandmother, Harry Potter geek, Army veteran, karate black belt, and online gamer.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Tara and Donna - congratulations on that weight loss ... perhaps now you do have the right programme - all the best - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we do become our own worst enemies. Any time I become obsessed with my weight, I gain weight. Never fails. I think approaching it as a health issue is way saner.

    And way to go! You will keep it off. I just know these things ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I began a weight loss regimen in 2013. A friend was going for one of those expensive operations and I said to myself, I can do that without the money. I joined a programme on the internet and lost 46 lbs. However, that was it. I cannot lose any more. However, I am pleased to say I am still 46 lbs. down 3 years later. So, it can be done. This is not, by the way, my first weight loss programme so I can thoroughly sympathise with your previous efforts Donna. My first diet was when I was 11 yrs. old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you've kept it off for three years. That's huge@

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by the House!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...