December is such a sparkly, festive, pepperminty month. But when January 1st rolls around, you better get those decorations down or feel the wrathful stares of your concerned neighbors.
This year, I happened to get those lights down lickety-split! And now that Christmas is put away and the company is gone and the vacation is definitely over, the house seems so dreary and bare. So mundane and unscented. And since the weather outside is still frightful, we have to spend more time inside wallowing in all the boring drabness of it!
So here are some suggestions to Shake Off the January Blahs:
- Game and/or Movie Night - Just because the holidays are over, doesn't mean the fun has to be! A family night of games or a movie will liven and lift everyone's spirits. And doing this on a regular basis will bring your family closer, keeping your house warm with smiles all year.
- Slumber Party by the Fireplace - A spontaneous night cuddled up by the fire or any out of the ordinary surprise - baking cookies, going through old photos, making funny videos instead of just watching them! - can spunk up any dull January weekend.
- Change out the photos - January is for new beginnings, so put fresh faces in your picture frames. Time for an update!
- Rearrange the furniture - Another way to give the old homestead new life is by changing the foot pattern, switch the seats, shed new light. And sometimes you'll find some lost items in the process...
- Have a Mom Party - Christmas was mostly for the kids. Now how about some pampering for the head of the house who did most of the decorating, shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc (two or three times as much in November and December as the rest of the year!) And if you're like me, you probably had to return a few things anyway, so now you can get something you really want!
- Sales - I love finding a good deal. And this is one of the best times of the year to do it. Sales, sales, sales! On Christmas stuff for next year and closeout winter clothes.
- Treat Yourself - I know. January is also the time we try to avoid treats because of all the December parties and candy and scrumptious snacks. But the treat doesn't have to be edible. This section is more about "Me" time. Give yourself some alone time with a book, a couple of episodes of Netflix, a hobby you've neglected, or just a snuggle with someone you love - like the cat! Maybe even 30 minutes of exercise. Do something for you to recharge your batteries and January won't look or feel so bad!
Hope your 2018 is off to a tremendous start!