Friday, November 4, 2016

Bookishly Ever After

Words are like oxygen to me. Too long without them, and I actually get wobbly. So I find ways to work them into every aspect of my life. I sing and tell stories to my children, I fill my house with books, I write and edit and read more hours of the day than I do anything else.

[I’ll pause for a moment while you envy me that luxury. It’s only natural.]

When I see something made out of old books, a thrill zings through me. I have a purse made of a copy of Jane Eyre. I have a copy of Anne of Green Gables a dear friend gave me, the pages artfully folded to spell out the word “Joy.” And, were I as crafty as the people who made the items featured below, there would be no room in my home not adorned with a piece of literature turned to art.






Of course, there are those who think using books as art materials is sacrilege. Others think there’s beauty to be found in the preservation of their fading glory. What do you think?


Kimberly Vanderhorst is a speculative fiction author who cherishes a love for all things strange and beautiful. Claims to fame include running Prism Editing, serving on the committees for the annual LDStorymakers Conference and The Whitney Awards program, and co-hosting the annual Pitch Slam contest. Despite being a city girl with a tendency to cuss too much, Kimberly is married to an LDS minister and lives in rural northern Canada. There, she helps raise her four lovely daughters while pretending not to be afraid of the neighbour’s chickens.

1 comment:

  1. I'm on the sacrilege side I'm afraid. Words are very important to me too and I have always been horrified by the instances of literature being destroyed by vandals. It appalls me to think of the many books and writings we have lost over the centuries.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the House!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...