Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Putting the Devil in Deviled Eggs

Happy Wellness Wednesday, kids!

I'm going to preface this post by emphasizing that I am NOT a health nut, but I do get crazy excited when I find deliciously healthy alternatives to prepping my favorite foods. And I finally found a great and healthy way to make one of the things I love and will overeat at every opportunity:

Deviled Eggs.

Around our house these tend to be the things I hide from my husband (lest we suffer the Thanksgiving gas flashbacks), but if you're a fan of the taste and not the fat, give this quick recipe switch out a try. Everything is a one-for-one swap from the usual mayo/mustard/relish combo that adds so many holiday inches to our hips. Ready for it?

1. Boil your eggs, half, and mash yolks as per usual.
2. All that mayo and mustard you usually use? Use that much red pepper hummus instead.
3. Use relish? Mix in a spicy unsweetened cole slaw mix instead.

YEP. It's that easy to turn the typical unhealthy deviled egg into a nutrient-packed delight, albeit still fairly high calorie. But if you know me, I worry less about calorie quantity than I do calorie quality. This is definitely still not a fat-burning diet food, but I feel loads better eating this than I do fattening condiments.

I'm also a TOTAL hummus fan. Have you guys found any other tricks using it that you'd like to share?

4 comments:

  1. I love deviled eggs. I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've experimented with a number of different alternatives to the usual deviled egg filling, but never with hummus. Might be worth a shot. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still make devilled eggs the usual way, but mine taste devilled, most of the ones I have ever tried made by other people don't taste devilled at all. i.e. so spicy hot they knock your socks off. That's what devilled means.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the House!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...