Top 10 Reasons my kids hide in their rooms:
- obviously to play on their devices - though they don't think watching videos and texting and social media is "playing" it totally IS!
- to avoid chores or HW or general nagging
- to hide activities I don't want to know about
- to pretend they're not around, esp if they might be in trouble for something
- to remove themselves from a sibling getting yelled at, don't bring me into this!
- to sulk and recoop after a loss
- to chill and relax
- to watch their own shows on netflix when mom has the remote
- to clean up - ha ha ha, just kidding, that never happens
- to nap/sleep, this one is okay, teenagers need a lot of sleep!
We were teenagers once too. I remember spending a lot of time in my room. I liked to read books and magazines, listen to music, make puzzles, write notes to my friends, experiment with makeup, daydream about boys, talk on the phone - remember that stuff?...Though the format and speed of things have changed, kids need their alone time to figure themselves out. We also need to monitor and limit their device time, like our parents did - but that's fodder for another post!
Got teenagers? Remember when you were that age? And we survived!
Happy Monday and have a great week!